Welcome to Hampstead Hill Academy
Hampstead Hill Academy is a PreK through 8th grade Baltimore City public charter school. Our elementary school is rated higher than 73% of schools in the whole state, and our middle school is rated higher than 93% of the schools in the state. For the past two years, HHA has been the highest performing elementary/middle school in Baltimore City Public Schools.
HHA Remote Week of 1.10.22
Unfortunately, HHA students have to work remotely this week. All staff will report as usual. HHA will return to in-person instruction Tuesday, January 18. I know this is frustrating for working parents, especially given the late evening timing. Everyone is doing their best.
Students will be marked present this week as long as they complete assignments posted and/or distributed by teachers. We will do as much synchronous work this week as possible. Students will be permitted to pick up devices starting tomorrow morning, as needed. Many students already have devices ready to go. Teachers will be in touch with parents and students regarding assignments. Parents should check Class Dojo frequently and may find teacher email addresses at https://hha47.org/staff-contact-roster/.
Along with many other schools, HHA had more than 50% of our pools test positive this week. Your child’s teacher will be in touch tomorrow if your child happens to be in one of the positive pools. Any student in a positive pool will be invited to take an individual PCR test at HHA, tomorrow, Monday, January 10 between 11am and 2pm or Tuesday, January 11 between 8:30am and 2pm. However, students in positive pools are not required to have a negative test to return to in-person instruction Tuesday January 18, as that will be past the 10 day quarantine period. PCR testing for positive pools is optional. I’m sure you have questions and concerns. I’m available by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Special New Year’s Message from Principal Hornbeck – January 7, 2022
“It’s impossible to be grateful and depressed at the same moment.” I’m struck by how true author Naomi Williams’s words are right now. As we gear up for a challenging first month of the New Year, I want to share some of the things for which I am deeply grateful. Here is a top ten list in no particular order.
I am grateful . . .
10. For Ms. Mel arriving at 6 am to open HHA each morning, manning the phones, and making sure the grounds are presentable, and for the whole custodial team which includes Ms. Rasheed, Ms. Davis, Ms. Flora, Ms. Carmen and Ms. Olivia for their incredibly important and underpaid work keeping HHA clean and looking good.
9. For Ms. Moore, our cafeteria manager, and her team for working hard to feed hundreds of kids twice a day.
8. For Mr. Lee as he balances his schoolwide technology duties with so many other asks and tasks.
7. For all the staff, you know who you are, working to support HHA’s neediest students this year. The progress of these students is a testament to your perseverance, wisdom, communication and collaboration.
6. For Coppermine staff, especially Coach Thomas and Coach Vinny, running 10 recess shifts a day for 875 kids. I’m proud of our collective commitment to getting students outside each day.
5. For Ms. Varner and Ms. Gonzalez working on the front line in the main office to field every question from parents, students and staff.
4. For HHA’s cafeteria monitors, especially Ms. Vargas, for their willingness to stand up and work five lunch shifts a day. A smooth lunch shift prevents countless challenges for students throughout the day.
3. For Ms. Chris for so many reasons and especially as she sets the complex daily substitute teacher schedule to provide coverage where it’s needed. No one cares more than Ms. Chris, and for HHA’s substitute teachers needed now more than ever.
2. For Ms. Swann and Ms. Castelan working hand in hand to support and inform parents. Ms. Swann keeps all of us organized, and Ms. Castelan is an amazing addition to our outreach programming.
1. For Ms. Kane and Ms. Ash who are keeping us all as safe as possible as they implement our weekly Covid-19 testing program.
Finally, I’m grateful for the HHA students, parents and staff I am fortunate enough to see and speak with each day. You mean the world to me.
Happy 2022 everyone!
Applications for the HHA Lottery and Prekindergarten for the
2022-2023 School Year
Spread the word to family and friends that 2022-2023 applications for the lottery and pre-kindergarten are now available. The lottery is held for students at all grade levels who do not live in the zoned area for the school. If you do not live in the zoned area and would like for your child to attend HHA, you can stop by HHA and complete an application online or visit this link https://hha47.org/admissions/. At this link, you will find information and applications for the lottery and for PreK. A public lottery will be held Thursday, February 10, 2022 at 3 pm. If for any reason the lottery cannot take place, the lottery will be held on Thursday, February 17, 2022 at 3 pm. In order to participate in the lottery, this form must be submitted by 5 pm Wednesday, February 2, 2022.
In-zone families not enrolled at HHA and who plan to send their child to our school for the 2022-2023 school year, please complete the lottery application. You will be tagged as in-zone and not as part of the lottery. This information is for planning purposes only.
If you would like additional information regarding enrollment/lottery guidelines, please contact Geri Swann at email@example.com.
Student Emergency Information and Student/Parent Contracts
If your child will attend Hampstead Hill Academy, we would like for you to complete a Student Emergency Information and Student/Parent Contracts Form. This form must be completed for each child attending our school.
The information on this form will provide us:
- the most up-to-date contact information
- who to contact in the event of an emergency, if the parent(s) cannot be reached
- and will grant your child permission to do a variety of things at school.
The English form is available at:
Hola a todos,
Si su hijo asistirá a Hampstead Hill Academy, nos gustaría que completara un Formulario de Información de Emergencia del Estudiante y Contratos de Estudiantes / Padres. Este formulario debe completarse para cada niño que asista a nuestra escuela.
La información de este formulario nos proporcionará:
- la información de contacto más actualizada
- a quién contactar en caso de una emergencia, si no se puede localizar a los padres
- y le otorgará permiso a su hijo para hacer una variedad de cosas en la escuela.
El formulario en Español está disponible en: